How to find Snapchat friends nearby ?
Geolocation extends the reach of the Snapchat platform into offline life. Indeed, you can locate your friends in real time through a map accessible from the web or the mobile application. The Snap Map also allows you to see which areas have the most snaps near your location.
This way, you will discover places, events or even interesting groups nearby.
Snap Map: what is it ?
The Snap Map is a location-based system of Snapchat, aimed at fostering social connections in virtual and real life. It has been integrated into the social app since 2017 and became available on computers the following year. Through this feature, the social network seeks to bring Snapchatters together, both online and offline. The concept has managed to seduce many users since its launch.
Unlike a classic map, the Snap Map is not only used to indicate your geographical position. It was especially thought to help you find friends or interesting events. The feature allows you, for example, to join a party, a concert, a trade show, a festival… Moreover, you will be able to identify the most animated areas through the number of snaps sent.
In short, the Snapchat map isn’t trying to show you where you are, but rather where you should be. This is the basic idea of the designers of this function. Thanks to the interactive map, you will be able to find places or exciting profiles as soon as possible.
Snap Map also allows you to share your location to encourage other network members to add you or join you there.
How to use Snap Map ?
Your geographical position is part of your sensitive online data. Snapchat has taken measures to limit the risks of tracking and harassment. The network also displays warnings when you turn off the GPS service Getting started with Snap Map.
For security reasons, you are supposed to share your GPS data only with close friends or family members.
Following the same logic, you will only be able to share your location in real time with a friend. Sharing also requires a mutual friendship on the social network. Moreover, the application does not offer any option to send your location data at the same time to all your friends.
You will then choose wisely the recipients of this information.
On the other hand, geolocation sharing is only active for a limited time. It can also be interrupted at any time without any notification. You will be protected from the main dangers of the web (spying, scams, identity theft, harassment…).
Finally, the application will regularly remind you who can know your location, through your Profile and your Chat window.
How to share your location with a friend ?
Once you are aware of the risks and constraints, you can broadcast your location to all your friends real time location on Snapchat. To do so:
- Open the app;
- Go to the Chat tab;
- Select the desired chat ;
- Tap on your friend’s ID, on the top left of the screen;
- In Snap Map, click on Share My Location Live ;
- Choose between the 3 available activation times.
Depending on your choice, sharing will be automatically deactivated after 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. You can also share your GPS data directly in Snap Map. Just tap on the bitmoji of the friend concerned.
You will have access to the option to share your location in real time.
How to hide your location ?
Snapchat offers a ghost mode, if you want to use the interactive map only to find friends. By enabling this feature, only you will see your location on the map. You will still receive location data from other users. To hide your location :
- Go to the Snapchat home interface;
- Open Snap Map by tapping on the location icon, located at the bottom left of the screen;
- Click on the cogwheel icon to open the Settings;
- Activate Ghost Mode using the toggle under My Location ;
- In the displayed interface, set the duration of the Ghost Mode.
To disappear from the map altogether, simply stop sharing your location or disable the GPS service. This second solution may be necessary, in case of a problem with the display or the application. This way, you’ll be sure not to send your location data anymore.
How to find nearby Snapchat friends ?
Snapchat makes it easy to expand your list of friends, if you are particularly sociable. In Snap Map, you can find out find potential friends, in your neighborhood or city. The name of the latter is displayed in the upper part of the screen, when you open the interactive map.
By clicking on it, you’ll be able to see stories from users in that territory.
In big cities, it’s best to filter stories based on the location of their creator. You can also discover the most popular locations in the area by clicking on the Places icon at the bottom of the screen. Just choose the areas with the most snaps to find potential new friends.
In addition, you can save promising locations to your Favorites.
How to locate nearby friends on an Android ?
The Snap Map function is interesting to find friends during a trip or to meet new people in your city. It thus highlights Snapchat’s strengths as a social network. To find friends on an Android mobile:
- Launch Snap Map by clicking on the icon at the bottom left of the screen;
- Allow Snapchat to use your location;
- Select a visible hotspot near your bitmoji;
- Explore the stories published from this location by swiping right or left ;
- If you want to add a profile, tap on its story and slide your finger up ;
- Access the user’s account by selecting the Creator tab.
- Click the Subscribe button to follow that person’s snaps.
If nearby hotspots are scarce, extend the exploration of stories to the whole city. It is sufficient to click on the name of the community at the top of the screen to expand the search field. You’ll be able to find interesting people, activities or areas in the region.
How to search for friends with an iPhone ?
If your mobile is on iOS, you can also multiply the number of nearby meetings thanks to Snap Map. To take advantage of this feature:
- Open the interactive map by clicking on the location icon at the bottom left of the Snapchat home interface;
- Allow the app to access your device’s location;
- Choose a hotspot that is close to your location;
- Scroll through stories by swiping left or right;
- If you want to follow a user, slide your finger to the Try Lens option at the top of the screen;
- Open the Creator tab to explore that person’s profile;
- Press “Subscribe” to interact with the user.
The Snap Map hotspots work exactly the same way on all devices (Android, iOS and Web). Thus, you can explore the stories published in your city, if your immediate environment is not very lively. This is especially useful when you’re on the go.
In this way, you will always find Snapchatters and exciting sites to brighten up your journey.